Google Groups
Subscribe to Bring Peace not Pain
Email:
Visit this group

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Thorn Removers or Thorn Cultivators

A friend and I happened to be walking by a patch of beautiful wildflowers when I started picking a few. He pulled out a pocket knife and asked it I wanted him to cut them, I said no, I was fine just snapping the stalks. Until I saw some beach roses that happen to be unbelievable thorny, I asked if he would please clip me one as I couldn’t touch it due to all of the sharp thorns. As he clipped I walked on and continued picking a few here and there. When we arrived at the car he handed me the roses, a minute later he asked if I had noticed that he had also cut off all the thorns. I said I hadn’t, but I’m sure once back at the office when I was arranging them I would have. He laughed and knowing me so well said “and you would have thought“, “I’m so lucky, of all the thorny stems I got one with out any thorns” I laughed because he was right, I would have thought that.
The next day when walking in the same spot I chuckled, thinking about the story, then it occurred to me …yes I would have thought that and yes, I would have been correct, I was so lucky to get a thorn free stem. How the stem became thorn free was irrelevant. The fact was I was given a beautiful rose that I could hold pain free, unlike the other roses on the bush.
Often we overlook and don't give credit to our most powerful gifts, the people in our lives, the Thorn Removers, those people that many times, quietly make our lives a more pleasant place. Thorn Removers can be complete strangers or members of our inner circle, often they remove obstacles with out us ever even knowing were there in the first place. Thorn Removers are the opposite of Thorn Cultivators those who create challenging issues in our lives.
Let us work to identify and celebrate the Thorn Removers in our lives and strive to emulate them in the lives of others.

4 comments:

yle said...

You are so right. I am and have always been blessed with thorn removers in my life. I realized something when considering this blog... The role the many 'thorn removers' have played in my life proved to blaze a trail that I later could walk myself. That is they showed me how to care for my self by caring for me. They created a space inside me with love that I did then endeavor to fill.

Anonymous said...

We are all called to remove the thorns from the stems that may touch the skin of our loved ones. But can we have the courage to remove the thorns for strangers. I am always amazed with the peace I feel when I can extend a kindness to a stranger. Especially when they may never know I had done it or that it had happened at all. It reminds me of the story of the little old lady who went along in front of a meter maid putting quarters in expired meters. Those car owners will never know they missed out on a ticket because of her. But the world is a better place for it. I hope I am given an opportunity to remove a thorn every day. Thank you for such a wonderful reminder.

Suzi said...

Yle…That is wonderful...learning to love yourself is the most important step…I hope now that you will be the trail blazer in lives of others. Xox Suzi

Suzi said...

Sri…Thank you for your comments, I love that story about the women and the parking meters. You say “I hope I am given an opportunity to remove a thorn every day“,
well what a great intention, I’m sure some days it will be easier to accomplish but making the commitment I’m sure we can find the opportunities. I am going to commit to that for a week and see how it goes…want to join me? Xox Suzi